K-12 Administrators face a complex set of circumstances and deal with a wide array of stakeholders with a variety of different values and priorities.
Budgets are a constant constraint and increasing serious security incidents continually raise the bar in what is perceived as effective security.
BPS Helps You Overcome Your Challenges
- Are our buildings adequately structured and managed to protect students, faculty and staff? – Virginia Tech, Parkland and Sandy Hook are just a few of the many tragic examples of serious security incidents which have resulted in new standards for the industry based on what went wrong and lessons learned.
- Does our District have the appropriate crisis communication tools in place? – Setting up a crisis communications alerting capability is more complex than it might appear. There are widely varying costs in deploying and sustaining this type of service. There are a myriad of issues which must be considered in determining which products are a best fit. BPS provides the analysis and documentation to support a sound District decision.
- Does our District have all of the necessary procedures and processes in place to ensure positive outcomes based on existing investments made – A few of the many examples include but are not limited to; effectively managing scarce SRO resources, how to properly train gatekeepers, ensuring security systems are effective, crisis management procedures, visitor management, facility community use, extra-curricular activities, and sporting events.
- Handling the Crafting of the Difficult Messages – Whether it is the Board or a group of parents, BPS will help you craft and can assist in the delivery of challenging discussions about the cost, convenience trade-offs and risks of not implementing appropriate mitigation strategies consistent with industry best practices.
- Can we secure grants to relieve some of the financial pressure and help to implement mitigation strategies quickly – BPS can help you to articulate your justification of your grant application based on your local threat and risk conditions as well as guiding your selection of mitigation strategies to be in line with grant funding guidelines.
Ask The Security Expert
BPS President and Certified Security Consultant Frank Pisciotta is ready to point you in the right direction. With over 3 decades of experience in security consulting, Frank has helped thousands of corporations, manufacturers, governments and healthcare facility managers keep their people and products safe.
Frank will personally respond to your questions within 24 hours. Ask The Expert and start Eliminating Crime Before It Happens.
K-12 Physical Security Resources
“Wireless Access Control Drives Shift From Traditional Solutions” discusses how cost, flexibility, and accountability have increased deployment of wireless locks and systems – by Frank Pisciotta (Security Technology Executive Magazine, July/August 2020)
US Secret Service Analysis of Targeted Violence
Training For K-12 Physical Security
We value the BPS team’s technical security knowledge and how to effectively apply security balancing the “trade-offs” of convenience and cost. The staff at BPS is very easy to work with and has never failed to follow-up on any questions or concerns. I can truly say that they are not satisfied with their work until you are satisfied. BPS is independent, knowledgeable on which security products are most effective at reducing risk and we highly recommend them to any organization interested in providing the highest level of protection for their institution.
As a consultant working on behalf of the District as our advocate, BPS was able to:
• Educate our committee on the elements of an effective school security risk assessment
• Provide the District with the important contemporary reports and standards to ensure the outcome of the assessment would include the best practices to keep our students faculty and staff safe
• Develop preliminary cost estimates on what the consultants might charge for their services and screen out certain elements of the work that would not add substantial value to the outcomes
• Assess proposals and help us to understand the differences in the responses and develop a short list of bidders to interview
BPS was very professional, thorough, and organized in the approach they took in reviewing our school district’s security. From this procedure, a series of realistic concerns and recommendations for improvement were developed. From the process the school district has a realistic approach to security with recommendations that will make our staff and students feel safer and be more secure.
…after working with BPS, we now realize the importance of matching equipment with specific needs. The distribution of devices and the selection of specific equipment may have been different had we had consultation before the fact. Vendors, while honorable, are interested in selling a canned system regardless of specific identified risk factors.